Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New LDS Youth Curriculum~ LOVE IT!


I just have to give a proverbial shout out to the new LDS youth curriculum: Come, Follow Me.
Can I get a "Woot! Woot!"
I am so glad this has been initiated.
For those who aren't sure what I am talking about, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints holds a 3 hour church block in which the classes are split up according to different categories such as age, gender, priesthood status, etc to help guide discussion to appropriate topics. For both male and female youth, they attend each of the following for approximately 1 hour each: Sacrament Meeting, Sunday School and Young Men or Young Women.

This new curriculum focuses more on guiding youth lessons by recognizing promptings from the Holy Ghost and teaching the same way Christ taught his disciples, through a discussion like mode rather than a lecture format. Christ often asked questions to his disciples that he might understand their spiritual maturity and then answered them appropriately according to what they personally needed to hear. He often explained gospel doctrines through specific examples, also known as parables, that related to their life at that moment in time.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

Using this type of teaching style in our modern setting grants each member the tools needed to learn for themselves the truths of this gospel and gain greater intelligence. It allows each individual to convert themselves through diligent study, prayer and guidance by the Holy Ghost resulting in stronger testimonies and knowledge of Christ's church. It also has many other benefits including increased fellowship and confidence in their knowledge of the gospel , which helps nurture full-time and lifelong missionaries. Christ himself said "Feed my sheep."

I invite you to watch this quick 4 minute presentation that describes this new curriculum. I'm not going to lie, this curriculum is pretty cool and I am really excited to start using it with all the resources it provides. If you would like to watch other videos of how to do this click here.

 

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19 

1 comment:

  1. My first lesson wasn't fantastic, but I am still excited about the new curriculum. I love the tips on the Church's website. Reading what other's who have been participating in the pilot programs really helps me as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete