Monday, February 21, 2011

Valentine's Cookies

Sorry it has taken me so long to post my valentine cookies I made for....wait for it....you guessed it!Valentine's Day! It was a new experience for me and a ton of fun! I loved it. I will definitely be making some more designer cookies soon!
Ok, well these aren't cookies but I did try to make some petit four hearts and it was a complete disaster! These were the only few that looked even remotely decent. I'll try them again. I don't give up that easy.
Now onto the cookies!




Sorry the pictures look so bad. I tend to do my baking at night and so I have artificial lighting.....plus I know close to nothing about cameras. Boo.

Designer Sugar Cookies
Ingredients
⅔ cups Shortening
¾ cups Sugar
4 tsp Milk
1 tspVanilla
1 wholeEgg
9 oz (2 cups) Flour
1½ tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Salt (I use fine crystal sea salt)

Mix the shortening and sugar with a mixer until well blended. Add the milk, vanilla, eggs and blend. Gradually add the rest of the dry ingredients until the mix forms a soft dough. More flour may be needed for rolling out the dough.

Roll out to about ¼ to 1/3 inch thickness. This makes 12 large cookie shapes. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes (for small cutters) to 9 minutes (for large cutters). You can freeze these in airtight containers for several months before icing and serving.

Royal Icing by sweet Dani B:
Yields: 2.5 cups

¼ cup meringue powder
1/2 cup cold water
1 lb powdered sugar
Squeeze bottles
Food coloring gel

Using a handmixer, beat together the meringue powder and the water until you see good trails where the whisk has been. Slowly beat in sugar until well blended and you see trails again. Mix food coloring in to desired shade.
For writing, add more powdered sugar until correct consistency is achieved (so it doesn’t run) and use a small writing tip.
The natural color is off-white. If you want this icing to be white you have to color it white with a food color dye.

1 comment:

  1. Wow I am so impressed! You are so talented, everything you make looks professional.

    ReplyDelete