Saturday, March 3, 2012

Tasty Tangy Key Lime Tarts



Trivia
Did you know...

Key Limes are different than your run of the mill grocery store limes?
You can grow 2 limes trees with 1 lime seed?!
Key Limes originated in Southern Asia and are now grown mostly in
Florida Keys, Mexico and South America?
Key Limes are family with oranges, lemons and kumquats?
Key Limes are tiny!?
{Just larger than a walnut... I was not expecting this when I was looking for them!}




Did you know...
Key Limes have more Vitamin C than other varieties and are therefore more tart!?
Did you know Key Limes are actually hard to find unless you have a gourmet grocery store?
{I found mine at Harmon's. If you can't find them you can buy bottled juice online but it is inferior to fresh squeezed limes as usual.}

Well.... now that you know the Key Lime up close and personal it's time to make dessert.
Today we are going to make Key Lime Tarts.
Yes, they are as good as they sound.
No, I don't have any idea what I'm talking about.
Confession: I have never had a tart in my life.
 Another confession: I think I might love tarts.
{With my whopping sample size of 1, I can't really determine
 if it's the tarts I love or this tart specifically}



Either way....it was dang good and you should try it. 

Here's the recipe.

Tasty Tangy Key Lime Tarts
Yields: six 3 inch tarts (can make these into mini tarts {~24} like the original recipe states and you can easily double the recipe if needed}

Graham Cracker Crusts (homemade or store bought)
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 large egg
1/2 cup sugar
4-6 tablespoons fresh squeezed key lime juice (I used 8 key limes)
2 teaspoons lime zest
Fresh whipped cream (optional)
Extra Lime zest for garnish

Notes: I bought graham cracker crusts that come in little tins for this recipe but next time I will try making smaller tarts with homemade graham cracker crusts because I think they will be a perfect size for a two-biter and the crust to filling ratio sounds wonderful. You can make this recipe with regular limes if you want to. I did not use whipped cream on these because I thought it was perfect the way it is, but feel free. =)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare graham cracker crusts if needed. If using pre-made crusts with tins, set these on a baking sheet. Squeeze your lime juice and make sure you strain it before you use it in the recipe.
Beat together the cream cheese, egg, sugar, lime juice and zest until well mixed. Taste the mixture to make sure there is enough lime flavor for your liking. Add more lime juice if necessary (or zest, but don't add too much of this or you will start to notice the zest texture in the final product). Fill crusts to the top with the mixture. Bake for 10-12 minutes for minis or 15 minutes for 3 inch tarts (ovens will vary). The tops will puff up quite a bit during cooking and then fall back down once cooled. The tarts are done once they look dull on the top. Remove tarts from oven and cool. When completely cool you can whip up your fresh whipped cream and dollop a bit on top or use a pastry tip. I just garnished mine with a bit of fresh lime zest and it was very pretty and perfectly delicious.
{Adapted from Paula Dean's Recipe for Key Lime Tarts}


These were so light and refreshing. They are the prefect ending to a dinner party or family meal. It is definitely not heavy and the perfect amount of sweet fruitiness to satisfy that sweet tooth.

Well friends, I think I'm getting another craving for key lime tarts.
I need to make some again and soon. 



Did you know....
Key Lime tarts make great gifts!?!



 Go ahead and give someone a tasty green treat for St. Patrick's Day or take some mini tarts to your work or friends. It will be the perfect touch for the holiday and your recipients will be thrilled!
...just don't forget to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment