Monday, November 19, 2012

Salt Pigs

I have yet another confession to make. 
I want a salt pig.
I have for a while now.
I actually don't really want the traditional cloak and dagger hooded salt pig. The only reason being it looks less functional.... I need to fit my whole hand in there and I'm not sure I could unless the thing is huge.

I like this one.

Of course you do, Sara, it's expensive.

Here are some more cute ones for you to peruse. You can click on any of these if you want more info from Amazon (Love them. Yep, I'm Prime).



Salt and Pepper Pigs. :)  Sounds delicious.



An acacia wood pig.

This one is from Paula Dean. You can separate different types of salts.
A marble pig.
Cloak and dagger hooded salt pigs

 So, why is the salt pig?
This is what Dr. Google said.
Theory #1: The unglazed interior absorbs moisture keeping the salt fresh and dry
Theory #2: Ceramic interiors keep the salt from clumping in a humid climate or kitchen
Theory #3: The top/hood keeps the soot and dust out of your salt

All very logical and probable.
My Theory: It's a lot easier than trying to open that dang salt container aluminum spout, dumping it into your hand, having to use two hands to decorate your steak with salt and then wasting the remainder every time you need to salt something. {Yes, I refuse to use a salt shaker.}

So... why is it a "pig"?
Well, a long time ago in a land far far away (Scotland) John McSmith got fed up with the little aluminum spout and put his salt in a little jar. According to the Scottish, a "pig" is a jar or container made from "earthenware" like clay or ceramic, and thus it was named.
Yep, proud to be Scottish. :)

Anyway, these little salt pigs are super cute and would make a fabulous hostess gift. Put some fancy Himalayan pink crystal salts in it and finish it off with a cutesy bow or some twine and a gift tag.

So, there you have it. Salt pigs. I want one.
But, wait, we haven't addressed the most important question of all.
"Is it ok to put kosher salt in a salt pig?"

No comments:

Post a Comment