Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Share the Love


I know some of you have wondered why I named my blog Share Dessert Company.  It shows when you repeat it and have a puzzled look on your face or ask me to spell it. :)
Actually, it was supposed to be just "Share" but obviously that name has been taken a thousand times over plus a good name explains what the heck you are about and isn't so mysterious. So since I originally started the website as a dessert blog I tacked on Dessert Company
Sounds good. Sure. I'll take it. 
As I started getting dessert requests coming in from everyone I know (and some I don't know across the country) I realized... hmm....I guess my name was a bit misleading. People think I have a baking business. Well I don't. Tee hee. :) I'm not legit. I have just done it for some friends and family. I decided I really didn't want to go in that direction so I decided to drop the "company" in hopes that I will stop confusing people.
So, now it is plain old Share Dessert. A blog about sharing dessert and other fabulous things.
 {I also thought dessert to me represents anything sweet and fabulous so I thought I would just keep a hidden play on words there all to myself because I'm a dork like that.}
So I just told you all this for no reason. This is completely beside the point.
Baha!
:)
My point! When I started this blog, I didn't just want to share recipes. 
I wanted to share my time, my talents and my self.
I thought, if I could just sell my desserts or generate some money somehow by providing a fun useful website then I could give it to people who really need it.
I don't need it. I have been blessed with opportunity in life and an amazing job came from it that has blessed my family beyond belief.

I often think of the lyrics to a song by Brad Paisley:
"To the world
You may be just another girl
But to me
Baby, you are the world"

And so I think, I could change someone's life. Even if it were only 1 person or even if it just changed someone's day, it would be worth it.
This is my life.
One Girl, One Goal.
To make a difference.

I planned to start a new section of the website at the beginning of next year but my lovely sister-in-law, Camille, did something that pushed me to start it now. 
She posted to her blog and sent out an email that said this:

"With the Christmas season approaching, I have been trying to come up with a way we can incorporate some service into our celebration.  Especially to help teach my young children about the true meaning of Christmas.  I have been wracking my brain, wondering what we could do.  And then the idea hit me this morning.  

Gather items to donate to the Huntsman Cancer Institute.

My sweet brother has spent a lot of time in hospitals, including Huntsman, during his cancer battle.  We know that it can be a sad and lonely place, and that not everyone has the amazing support that my brother has in his incredible wife, Sara.  I wanted to do something to help other patients fighting cancer.  So I started doing some research, and have decided I want to make "Essential Totes" for patients that are on an extended stay.  

This is where I ask for the support of all of my family, friends and even strangers. I will gather donations from now until mid-December.  We will then assemble and deliver the items with my girls (if they are allowed) as we get closer to Christmas.  If you feel like you could help out, PLEASE do.  We have seen the incredible suffering that cancer patients go through first-hand.  We have seen the ones that are lonely as well, and it is heart breaking.  If you would prefer to donate money, I can use that to buy supplies as well.  I can take checks, cash or PayPal (there is a button over on the right to donate).
...
I know that things are tight around Christmas...I have 4 kids, I get it...but if you could find any wiggle room to give, it would mean a great deal to us.  I plan on including a note in each bag saying that these are dedicated to Ben...the strongest person I've ever known.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I promise to document this and put pictures on the blog as well."

 This brother of hers, Ben, happens to be my husband so this intuitively is something I care very much about. I want to help make this happen.

Ben and a fleece blanket made by family
 So lets embark on a journey to Share the Love and help others live a little easier or at least a little happier. In the new section of the website I'll provide ideas of different ways you can help whether global or local. I will also always be fundraising for a specific charity or event that I will post about as they come. Sometimes for big things. Sometimes for small things. I will share stories and pictures about who we have been able to make an impact on.
I have placed a "donate" button on the right side of the site to make things easy for those who would like to donate.

Please consider donating items or money to provide the gift of comfort this Christmas season to those suffering from a disease that knows no boundaries. I know first-hand how great an impact you can have.
Here are the items that we would like to include in the Christmas gift totes.

Christmas Gift Totes:
Tote (big enough to fit a magazine)
Fleece Blanket
Warm Comfy Socks
Cotton Gloves (to put on after lotion application)
Unscented Healing Lotion
Current Magazines
Playing Cards
Crossword/Wordsearch/Puzzle Books 
 Pens
Paper/Journal
Gum
Mints/ SPRY Mints 
Hand Sanitizer
Starbursts/ Life Savers
Biotene Mouthwash
Healing Lip Balm/Moisturizer (non-petrolatum based)
Thoughtful/Funny Story or Short Book
   Disposable Nail Files

All items should be new. If you have any other great ideas, please comment! If you have any questions about helping out you can email me at 
sara@sharedessertcompany.com

{Addendum: Wow! We have already received donations! THANK YOU! Updates with be posted to the main page HERE. Check there to see what we still need.}

   A big Thank You goes out to Camille for doing such an amazing job of dreaming up and organizing this project! You are an angel.
"And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail— But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him." Moroni 7:45-47
Charity is the pure love of Christ.
“Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.” -HW Longfellow

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I got enough monetary donation to already purchase lip balm and nail files! WOO HOO! So, you can take those off your list. I'm excited to Share the Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...I thought I commented, and it isn't here. Or maybe I didn't. ANYWAY...thank you for sharing this, and for being so supportive! I already received enough monetary donations to buy all the lip balm and nail files. WOO HOO! I am so excited to Share the Love this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very significant person, much more than just "one girl". Hats off to you for sharing to help lift and strengthen others. You are a great blessing to our family and to many others who benefit from your unselfish acts of Charity.

    ReplyDelete