Monday, May 23, 2011

Cinco De Mayo Flan

For Cinco De Mayo (I know, I'm a little late posting this), I thought I would whip up a batch of flan for my mother and father-in-law who both went on their missions to Argentina. My father-in-law mentioned in passing one day that it was really hard to find good flan here so I made a mental note and decided to try to find a good recipe that I could make for them and see if they approved. They did! It looked like it turned out perfectly because it was so pretty...but did it taste good?! I was relieved when they said it was good. Flan seems like a recipe that can go bad....really bad. I never tried it. It's a texture issue. Blaghh. Someday I will try it.

Delicioso Flan
Ingredients
1 cup sugar
6 large eggs
1 (14 ounce) cans condensed milk
1 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ounce cream cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Select 2 oven safe containers, one that can easily fit inside the other.
The large one will be used for a water bath and the smaller one will actually house the flan.
Fill the larger container a little less than half way with water and place in the cold oven to heat up while you prepare the caramel and the custard.
In a large pan, using a wooden spoon caramelize the sugar until it turns a light golden brown.
While still hot, transfer the melted sugar to the smaller container, swirling it around until the entire bottom is covered then set aside.
In a blender add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
Open up the oven where you have placed the water bath and then place the small pan with the caramel inside the large water bath pan.
Pour the custard into the pan being careful not to splash it.
Bake for 45 (30- 45) minutes until the top is golden brown and the center passes a toothpick test. (Feels thick like cheesecake)
Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Invert onto a large square serving dish with lip (or else the caramel will run all over!). Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment